Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The preparations begin

I'm to start the Fellowship by attending the Global Breastfeeding Partners Forum from the 17th to 19th October. That gave me about 3 weeks from being notified before leaving! Yikes!! And as luck would have it, I'd already registered to attend the Susuibu conference in Kuala Lumpur from the 3rd to the 10th Oct!!!! That didn't leave me much time to prepare for a 3-month trip away - 5 days to be precise!
I'll be leaving my husband at home to look after the home, my big vegetable garden and, of course, to continue running our business - he'll get plenty of help doing that from Sam, Bridget, Freddy and Trinity!

After accepting the position the doubts began to creep in - 'what if I'm not able to do what they want me to do?', 'will I miss my husband too much?', 'will he really eat all the vegies that will be ready to be harvested while I'm away, or leave them for the caterpillars?', 'how will they cope at work without me?'. Needless to say all those being left at home have reassured me that they'll manage admirably without me. Only time will tell whether I am what WABA needs, and yes I'm sure I will miss my husband a lot, but the time will fly by.

Initially I regretted having to go to the Susuibu conference as I thought I could have used that time at home to prepare for the longer trip. But as it has turned out I met lots of wonderful friendly Malaysians which assured me I won't be lonely, and Julianna from WABA who I will be working with in Penang and who really made me feel that I will be welcomed.

I was a bit worried about what I should wear and how I should behave in this predominantly Muslim country. Again though I had nothing to worry about - during my week in KL I saw that dress in the city was not dissimilar to my home town of Brisbane (shorts, sleeveless tops were common); but felt that when out with my Muslim colleagues a skirt to the knees and a top with at least short sleeves to be more respectful.
I also had misconceptions about Muslim women, thinking they were quiet, reserved and subservient to their husbands. Not so!! A more vibrant, fun-loving, empowered group of women I have yet to meet!! And the few husbands I did meet were wonderfully supportive of their wives and their activities, and great dads!

The weather is hot with very high humidity all year round, with the few months I will be there having the highest rainfall. Hmmm tropical downpours will be interesting to experience. Clothing-wise it'll be loose, natural fibre fabrics. With the cost of clothing over there I think I'll only be packing a few clothes to get me through the first week and buying more once settled - a half empty suitcase going over, laden coming home! Don't let me forget the umbrella though, please!

Tomorrow I'm packing.

No comments:

Post a Comment